Protecting the National Flock T: +27 12 529 8298 | F: +27 86 542 9928 | email@example.com
- Engage national and local government on issues of disease control in the South African poultry industry.
- Make use of the database of poultry farms in South Africa to assist DAFF with monitoring of notifiable disease such as Avian Influenza, Salmonella and Newcastle Disease, while using it to develop monitoring programmes for important disease such as Infectious Bronchitis.
- Appoint or designate veterinarians with expertise in poultry diseases in each Province who would be available to assist state veterinarians in the event of disease outbreaks in commercial, smallholder and subsistence poultry in those provinces.
- Investigate the role of the PDMA in training state veterinarians and/or Animal Health Technicians so as to improve the service delivered by the state in the event of disease outbreaks on poultry farms.
- Consider developing a residue monitoring programme for poultry products nationally, or at least a database of residue monitoring data which is available.
- Deliver improved technical and veterinary support to smallholder poultry farmers so that they can achieve greater production success in collaboration with State Veterinary services or through the PDMA’s own initiatives.
- Collaborate with the ostrich industry.